Monday, October 8, 2012

What Do You Do With a Degree in History?

Everyone who has been a history major has fielded this question at least once in their career: "So you're a history major? What are you gonna do with that?" It's a legitimate question, but one that can certainly become tiring and daunting, especially if you aren't exactly sure yourself. You simply know that you've received an excellent liberal arts education, you have a genuine love for discovering the past, and you can think critically and write well. But now what?

For myself, I love history so much that I couldn't conceive of doing anything else with my life. But what specifically? I'm currently in a "gap year" (hopefully) with the intentions of going to graduate school and aspirations of becoming a public historian. Yet, I have no idea exactly what that means for me or where I will end up. Currently I am interning with the curator at Lancasterhistory.org, an organization including the Lancaster County Historical Society and President Buchanan's Wheatland, hoping that I will not only gain some hands-on knowledge and an insider's view to public history, but also discover where exactly I am intended to journey in my career. I am anticipating that this blog will provide a venue to write about my weekly experiences there, as well as my journey toward graduate school and the public history profession.

So what am I going to do with a BA in history? I don't really have a specific answer, but I'm ready to embark on an exciting journey to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment